Thursday, September 26, 2013

Week 3 Annotated Bibliography


As I was reading the literature for my questions, I found that my question has started to change and be more focused on the importance of having an in-depth classroom management plan. My first question was based on effective classroom management skills for energetic students. As I started to read the literature, I was not able to find evidence towards my question. When I narrowed my search to effective classroom management techniques, I found a lot of resources. These are a few articles I found. I will continue to read more articles and add them to my research. The first article was a guide on how to read research articles and what information to look for. This article helped me when I started reading the literature. I would not read articles unless it had an Abstract and Introduction. This guide was very helpful.

Franzoi, S.L. & Ratlif-Crain, J. (2003). Guide to reading research articles. In Instructor's manual to accompany social psychology. 3rd ed. (pp.29-30).  Boston:McGraw-Hill. This article explains what to look for in a research study article. If these components; Abstract, Introduction, Methods, Results, Discussion and References are not in the article, then it is not a research study article. It also explains how to read a research study article. Instead of reading page by page, first is to read the introduction, then the ending for the hypothesis and skim the discussion throughout the article. The last part suggests reading the whole article first page to last for deep comprehension understanding This article will be helpful.

Emmer, E.T. & Anderson, L (1980).  Effective Classroom Management at the Beginning of the School Year.  The Elementary School Journal. Volume 80. Number 5, The Universtiy of Chicago. This article explains techniques, ideas and management tools to use and have in place at the beginning of the school year. Behavior might be caused for lack of management skills or not setting the expectations in place right away. This article will be helpful.

Schroeder, D.L. & Granger, M.J. (1995).  A New Generation of Network Technology Requires New Generational Teaching. (pp. 406-407). Idea Group Publishing. This article outlines how this generation needs to be taught with technology in the classroom. It explains when educators are not up to speed with technology; students are not ready for the workplace. This will be helpful during my research.

ONES, K. A., JONES, J. L., & VERMETE, P. J. (2013). Exploring the Complexity of Classroom Management: 8 Components of Managing a Highly Productive, Safe, and Respectful Urban Environment. American Secondary Education, 41(3), 21-33. This article outlines eight components for successful classroom management. It explains how student-teacher relationships are important and gives many ideas on how to have a successful managed class. This article will be helpful.

GARRETT, T. (2013). CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT: It's More Than a Bag of Tricks. Education Digest, 78(9), 45-49. This is an article on different ways to conduct classroom management without using bribery. It describes how positive communication with parents and explaining to students what to do rather than what not to do creates successful management.

Erdoğan, M., Kurşun, E., Şışman, G., Saltan, F., Gök, A., & Yildiz, İ. (2010). A Qualitative Study on Classroom Management and Classroom Discipline Problems, Reasons, and Solutions: A Case of Information Technologies Class. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 10(2), 881-891. This article described the reasons why the classroom management can be ineffective. It explained how timing, classroom size, and design could be factors to an unsuccessful classroom management plan.



3 comments:

  1. I too have struggled with how to read the research articles and to decipher the better of the information out there. Thank you for the resources you listed they will help me to narrow my scope and find the information and articles I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started searching for articles, I was finding only ones I could purchase. I didn't want to spend over $100.00 on the articles. It was frustrating coming up empty all the time, or only being able to read snip its of an article. The best site I found that gives complete articles is the Egan Library. I tried Google Scholar, but I only found articles that needed to be purchased. If you're still having difficulty, try the Egan Library, there were a lot of articles to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for the late comment as it is most definitely too late to use in your reflection. Class Dojo is an online behavioral management site that allows teachers to customize a set of attributes for each student. Students earn points and lose points depending on their choices. It allows students to see their score and reflect on their performance. It also allows the teacher to quickly send detailed and meaningful reports to the parents. Check it out at: www.classdojo.com.

    ReplyDelete