Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week 2 Reflection

This week we discussed the shifts in Language Arts with the new Common Core State Standards. I explained how my students use the text when answering questions after they have read something. I got an over view from my colleagues that there is a major shift with the new state standards. The posts I read on my colleagues blogs, discussed how our students would be behind and have too many items to complete. I think once our students understand the expectations and requirements it won't be so cumbersome for them. When I start something new or take on many different projects, I'm overwhelmed at first, but once I find a rhythm and a way to finish all of my projects I am stress free. The resources I shared with my colleagues this week was our new yearly planning guide for language arts. The planning guide was developed over the summer with many different educators k-12th grade. The planning guide describes in detail certain skills to be taught throughout the week that align with the common core state standards. I also shared a website to view and purchase the six trait writing kit. I use this kit in my classroom and it really helps my students use all six traits when they are writing. This will help with all the writing requirements our students have with the new standards. This coming week I plan on creating a survey and having my work colleagues fill it out. The survey will give me information to use in my research papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment