Friday, September 20, 2013

#seaccr How does the shift in the Alaska Language Arts standards impact teaching and learning in my classroom? What is the question I would like to research over the next eight weeks?


In my classroom during Language Arts, my students read non-fiction and fiction stories. Michael Gurian says it’s “important for students to read fifty percent fiction and fifty percent non-fiction during the school year”. It is difficult to find non-fiction stories. I am pleased to see Science and Social Studies Links in their Houghton Mifflin Anthologies. When my students read the Science and Social Studies Links, we always discuss how to read these links. I always have the following discussion with them: “It’s not a story, there are no characters, so what are we reading and why are we reading this”?  I think it’s important for students to know why they are doing something and how it’s going to help them. I always have my students use the text when completing an activity after they have read information or a story. “The Common Core’s expectations reveal that today’s document places a much stronger emphasis on higher-level comprehension skills. Even young children are asked to analyze multiple accounts of an event, noting similarities and differences in the points of view presented, assessing the warrant behind people’s ideas” (Pathways).  My students were learning about comparing and contrasting events from a story the other day.  When my students completed their diagram, I had them use their text. “Students need to develop the skill of grounding their responses in evidence from the text” (Dr. Anner Jones).  I found that having my students use the text helped them understand the similarities and differences and they were not using short- term memory to complete the activity. It also, taught them how to use their anthology as a resource when learning. These are tools they will understand and be able to use in future classes.



The questions I will be researching over the next eight weeks:
1.     What kind of technology tools are we using that help students be successful or not? 2. What are some different management tools to challenge students with a lot of energy.
If you saw two questions, you are correct. I am enrolled in both classes and required to research two different topics. The topics I chose were created to give me resources in my classroom. I plan on collaborating with my colleagues at school and in the class. I will create a survey for my colleagues to complete. From the survey, I will be informed of the technology tools that are used in their classrooms, if they help their students be successful or not. I will also, be informed of management tools that are working to keep students with a lot of energy engaged.



Resources:

Gurian, M. (2013, 07/12). In Dakota Hoyt (Chair). Literacy. Presentation delivered at the Institute Gurian institute, all about boys and girls, Colorado Springs, CO.

Jones, D. A. (2013). Ela shifts Power Point presentation. In ELA Shifts.

Calkins, L., & Ehrenworth, M. (2012). Pathways to the common core. Retrieved from http://www.heinemann.com/shared/onlineresources/E04355/PathwaystoCCch1re.

No comments:

Post a Comment